Chai

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

unemployment=freedom (at 22)

Yesterday was my last official day at ACE! although there will be a good-bye lunch proceeding after my return from Vietnam. I am finally free to travel and roam, exactly what I can here for, or at least one of the main highlights. A few weeks ago Christina and I were talking about how our expectations for this year are completely different from what we have actually gained. It seems as though I came to Bangkok with blue expectations and my conclusions are circles. If there is anything I have learned in this “land of the smiles” experience is that life is unpredictable, and it is only on that unpredictability that we find some stability or at least something to rely upon. This year has brought great highs, like the opportunity to travel to Vietnam for ten days (leaving in a few hours), but it has surely had its lows. Yet it is the low points have made it all worthwhile, the bad has made the good that much more sweeter. The circles make way more sense than the blue over could.

The other night I was out with some friends and met a young Irish guy who asked Sophie and I why we were here. He hesitated and tried to word the obvious; why are two young, western women choosing to live in Bangkok? We smiled and I responded that I ask myself that all the time. There are factors to why I am here and not anywhere else, I like to think that my being- here or anywhere is more by faith and not reason. If I took reason into account surely my being here would not make sense, but by faith it surely does.

On a completely different note, I may be moving to Bolivia this summer or fall- more on that later. For now I am off to Vietnam.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherilyn said...

I'm having to watch a great deal of James Bond movies for my class about popular culture (I know -- random!) and one of them had quite the chase scene in Bangkok. I believe it was "The Man With The Golden Gun." Just tell people you're there in case James Bond needs you.

March 31, 2008 at 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home